It's been another busy week here. I have lots to do every day, but the hardest thing about work this week was the random, frustrating problems that popped up along the way that required time and energy I could have put into things I actually needed to get done. But it's best to move on from those things and not let them take any more of my time. I just hope next week is better.
We have gotten into a good routine now for the Summer. When the mornings aren't too hot, the dogs spend lots of time outside playing, sniffing, and lounging while I keep an eye on them as I work from my dining room table. We take mid-day walks, and they all know the meal time routines. Then there are rounds of play and afternoon naps and after dinner walks. It's a pretty good routine.
While he was gone, I worked while the girls napped. When he got home, he was ready for some more wrestling with Mina, and Peaches joined in on the fun by barking at them. Then, out of the blue, I got a call from the shelter telling me a family was there to meet Bumble.
Since I hadn't taken my lunch yet, I told them I'd head that way. I think I was in shock as I hung up the phone and stood up to get ready to go. There were lots of emotions, and some tears, as I walked around trying to gather everything I wanted to send off with him to a new home. And then I realized we hadn't had a chance for his ice cream party, so I grabbed a Frost Paws out of the freezer and gave it to him to enjoy in the car as I drove him to the shelter.
We arrived at the shelter to a family of eight, two parents and six girls. He was a little overwhelmed, but they took it slow and gave him time to feel more comfortable. It was decided they'd come back on Saturday without the girls for another meeting. I think I was still in shock when we left the shelter.
We went to bed early on Friday so I could get in some extra snuggles knowing there was a good chance it would be his last night with us. We also enjoyed a slow, quiet Saturday morning snuggling. It's my way of mentally preparing to say goodbye.
Before I knew it, it was time to head to the shelter for his meeting. I had a nice chat with this lovely couple and I am so happy that they decided to make him part of their family. He is going to be very loved. Just look at him with his new doggy brothers.
It is always bittersweet saying goodbye to a foster, but even more so when it's a dog like Bumble. I think back to meeting him the first time at the shelter as I was harnessing him for dog walking club, then watching him struggle in the shelter environment, and seeing the plea for a foster.
I had so much going on and no time for a foster, really. But thanks to a couple of other volunteers' willingness to help me out when I needed a safe spot for him to go, I was able to make that commitment to foster him. I know if I hadn't stepped up, he wouldn't have made it out of the shelter. He would have become just another number on a page.
When I brought him home, he was anxious and unsure if he could trust people. He didn't know how to play with other dogs. He lacked confidence. He needed routine, security, love, and patience. He just needed someone to give him a chance. And with the help of my girls, his confidence grew, he began to trust people, and he learned to be a dog. And in the time he was here, I discovered what a good foster sibling Mina can be.
Now he has a new family to continue that work.
After 85 days in my care, I feel confident that he has found a family to love him for the rest of his days. There isn't really any better feeling than knowing you helped save a life and made a family complete. That's why a foster.
We'll now be taking a break from fostering for a bit so I can concentrate on Peaches who deserves all the attention and love I can give her in the winter of her life.






















No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.