With the official arrival of Fall leass than a week past, we started the week with plenty of green and temperatures in the upper 60s to low 70s. But as night temperatures dip into the 40s, it signals the inevitable end of the seasons I love most, and we quickly began to notice the slight changes in the look and feel of the trees as they slowly begin to prepare for the coming Winter.
Thankfully, I've still been able to wear shorts and my favorite Teva hiking/water sandals most days, but I know that's coming to an end soon, too.
While things are still mostly green, we are starting to see the first early pops of color from the maple trees-the early season reds and oranges are just a small preview of what's to come.
We enjoyed the tinges of orange and yellow in the trees as well as the more bold colors of the maples as we walked the trail in Frances Park and along the Grand River on Monday. It was a gorgeous evening to be outside.
On Tuesday, I had to make a stop at Lett's Community Center, so I thought that would be the perfect opportunity to get the girls out for a walk in an areas that they never go.
Wednesday rained all day and we weren't able to get out for any real fun. But the girls did join me as I ran a few quick errands, and then we had a quiet evening at home.
After work, I took the girls to Fenner Nature Center for our evening walk. I know this is a favorite spot of Peaches', and I'm trying to make sure she gets to enjoy all of the places she loves this Fall.
Thursday I had a busy morning preparing to be out of the office for some afternoon work travel. I joined an advisor meeting, then joined the advisors and my team for a happy hour at Hop Cat. The Meowgarita flight was top notch. Then David, our new team member, Emma, and I had a little team bonding time over dinner. Lots of changes this year, but I think our new team is going to be great.
Friday finally arrived and I was definitely ready for it. The girls and I took a quick drive on my lucnh to get gas and to make a couple other stops, and I was pleasantly surprised by this beautiful set of trees as we rounded a curve on a street I rarely travel. So of course, I pulled over for a picture.
Friday was also the 5th anniversary of Maddie's passing, so being able to enjoy some peace and quiet in the woods at Fenner to remember her seemed very fitting. She always loved our walks there.
Sadly, this year, my garden was a complete flop. I had spent so much time preparing and planting, only to have it ruined by a combination of dry weather and critters. For the first time ever, the local deer have found their way into my backyard this year. Along with a rabbit population that hasn't been deterred by the fact that I have dogs or that several of their bunny relatives were caught and killed by Mina this year, they destroyed my tomato and broccoli plants, while the dry weather kept my zucchini from thriving. But somehow this one tomatillo plant made it through the crazy summer and finally produced a handful of tomatillos for me to harvest. These, along with two small basil plants, were all the garden bounty I received this year. I'm hopeful that next year will be better because I sure do miss all of the fresh goodies I'd normally get...especially the tomatoes.
After another slow and quiet start to our day, we will spend our Sunday at home today. I'll be mowing the lawn, doing some cleaning, and getting our Halloween decorations up. Then we'll relax a bit before we enter another busy week. Thankfully the temperatures and forecast look promising for another week and we'll take full advantage of it!
I wanted to share this picture in memory of my original crew, Jake, Imke, and Maddie. The week between September 28 and October 5 is always hard. Remembering them all with so much love. I'm foever thankful they were mine. ❤️
Tomorrow we remember Imke on her 23rd birthday. The little puppy who started it all. Without her there would have been no Jake, Maddie, Peaches, or Mina in my life. I owe my love of this breed and so much more to her. She will forever be my best girl.























No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.